An Introduction to Facial Rehabilitation
To provide an introduction to the assessment and management of the patient with facial palsy.
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- The function of the face and the impact that facial palsy will have on the individual in terms of both physical and emotional well being.
- Facial anatomy and the control of facial movement
- Causes of facial weakness
- Assessment and recording of facial function
- Selection of appropriate treatments
The Advanced Management of Facial Palsy
To provide assessment and treatment strategies for synkinesis and prolonged facial paralysis.
Participants will gain an understanding of;
- Synkinesis – theories behind it, challenges, onset etc
- Understanding patterns of synkinesis
- Assessment of synkinesis using FGS
- Theory of acupuncture and acupuncture case study
- Theory of Botulinum toxin and case study
- Surgery in facial palsy
- Upper motor neurone facial palsy and its management
- Case study – to include stretches, massage, EMG relaxation and EMG delinking and NMR
- Case study combination of above
- Participants will also be expected to present case studies on day 2